News & Events
ASA is Hiring: PAASH Migration Intern - September 15.2020
PAASH Migration Intern
Full-time, 16-week internship starting November 16, 2020
Archives Society of Alberta (ASA) is a professional association that builds resilient archival professionals and organizations that meet the needs of their communities. We strive to achieve our mission by providing an advisory services program, an online archival database, an archival supplies loan program, an online directory of archival institutions in Alberta, professional development opportunities, and organized advocacy efforts.
As part of our services which support member archives, ASA is hiring a Young Canada Works intern to migrate the Provincial Archives of Alberta Subject Headings (PAASH) to a machine-readable format. This machine-readable file will be used in archival databases in order to make our members' archival holdings more easily accessed by the public. Reporting to the Executive Director/Archives Advisor, the PAASH Migration intern will:
- Research tools available for the file migration;
- Migrate PAASH from a Word file to SKOS RDF;
- Input the SKOS RDF into a database (AOR) and test it; document the process and summarize results;
- Document the migration process and develop procedures for updating and revising in future;
- Liaise with ASA committees, members and other professionals in the field to ensure the project meets ASA’s needs and has successful results.
- Degree in an information science related field with a focus on computing and knowledge management, digital humanities, information studies or an equivalent;
- Familiarity with information management sector such as libraries, archives or museums is an asset;
- Familiarity with web technologies such as RDF and standards for controlled vocabularies such as SKOS;
- Comfort with technology and the ability to learn new tools quickly;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to work both in a team and independently;
- Strong communication skills;
- Meets Young Canada Works criteria which is listed at the Who Can Apply section
Deadline: October 14, 2020
How to apply: Please send your resumé and covering letter to Rene Georgopalis, Executive Director/Archives Advisor, email@example.com, or Prince of Wales Armouries Heritage Ctr, 216-10440 108 Ave NW, Edmonton AB T5H 3Z9.
Please ensure that you also express interest in the position via the Young Canada Works website: https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/Opportunity/ProjectDetails?projectId=10927.