Six-day intensive, immersive educational experience, followed by a two-week take-home processing exercise.
Dates: April 16 - 21, 2018
Location: Provincial Archives of Alberta, 8555 Roper Road, Edmonton
Cost: $800 for ASA members; $850 for non-members.
Textbook is included in registration fee.
Class Size: 12 minimum / 18 maximum
What is the Archives Institute?
The Archives Institute is an intensive, immersion-style experience, where the fundamentals of archival science are introduced and studied in order of their place in the archival process. Each component builds upon the last until the entire process of acquisition, appraisal, arrangement, description, preservation and access are covered and their intricate inter-relationships revealed.
What does the Archives Institute offer you?
- The Archives Institute is a comprehensive introduction to the fundamental elements that make up the work undertaken by members of the archival profession. The Archives Institute is not a complete education.
- The Archives Institute delivers information that archives workers need in order to assess both their institutional programs and their future training needs.
- Through discussions, team work and social breaks, participants in the Archives Institute have many opportunities to consult with colleagues and make new friends.
- The Archives Institute provides the prerequisite knowledge for participation in special topics workshops and seminars offered regularly by the ASA.
- Participants who successfully complete the Archives Institute, according to the ASA Registration and Attendance Policy, receive an Archives Institute certificate from the Archives Society of Alberta.
What does the Archives Institute require of you?
Successful completion of the Archives Institute program requires a commitment of time and attention for six days. For best results, students should plan to devote their full attention for this week.
Successful completion of the Archives Institute program also requires the completion of a take-home processing exercise within two weeks of the seminar.
Before registering for the Archives Institute, please note the following critical information:
- Acceptance of your registration and receipt of a participation certificate upon completion is dependent upon your reading, accepting and adhering to the ASA Registration and Attendance Policy.
- Your attendance at all sessions is mandatory, Monday through Saturday.
- Late arrivals and early departures are not accepted.
- Completion of the take-home exercise by the required date is also mandatory.
- Education Program Travel Assistance (EPTA) funding is available to institute participants who are current individual members of the Archives Society of Alberta prior to the start of the Institute. Click here for the Education and Travel Grant Programs Policies, revised January 2015.
Registration for ASA members opens FEBRUARY 5, 2018.
Registration for non-members opens FEBRUARY 12, 2018.
Registration deadline: April 3, 2018
Minimum registration deadline: March 19, 2018
**The minimum number of paid participants must be met by this date or the Institute will be cancelled.
If you would like to register, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete the Education Program Registration Form
Return the completed form to the ASA office as indicated on the form or e-mail it to email@example.com.