Original Beth Israel Synagogue, c. 1912 photo courtesy Provincial Archives of Alberta, Ernest Brown Collection, B3570.
« click for larger image »

The original Beth Israel Synagogue was constructed in 1911-1912, on the corner of 95th St. and 101 Ave. and was opened for High Holiday services on September 12, 1912. At the time, this was the heart of Edmonton's small Jewish community, which had begun in 1893 with the arrival of Abe Cristall, the Congregation's first President. The bulding is the oldest extant synagogue in the Province of Alberta.

Original Beth Israel Synagogue, c. 1912 photo courtesy Provincial Archives of Alberta, Ernest Brown Collection, B3570.

  

Jewish Archives and Historical Society
of Edmonton and Northern Alberta

  « back