An introductory course to archival work
Note that the Archives Institute is an introductory course and is not designed for those individuals with graduate degrees in archival studies.
Dates: Fall 2023, TBD
Cost: $800 member, $850 non-member
Textbook is included in registration fee.
Class Size: Min 12 / Max 20
What is the Archives Institute?
The Archives Institute, delivered in a virtual format, teaches the basics of archival work. The Institute covers the fundamentals of archival science in order of their place in the archival process. Each component builds upon the last until the entire process of acquisition, appraisal, arrangement, description, preservation and access are covered and their intricate inter-relationships revealed.
What does the Archives Institute offer you?
- The Archives Institute is a comprehensive introduction to the fundamental elements that make up the work undertaken by members of the archival profession. The Archives Institute is not a complete education.
- The Archives Institute delivers information that archives workers need in order to assess both their institutional programs and their future training needs.
- Through online discussions and team work, participants in the Archives Institute have many opportunities to consult with colleagues and network.
- The Archives Institute provides the prerequisite knowledge for participation in special topics workshops and seminars offered regularly by the ASA.
- Participants who successfully complete the Archives Institute, according to the ASA Registration and Attendance Policy, receive an Archives Institute certificate from the Archives Society of Alberta.
What does the Archives Institute require of you?
Successful completion of the Archives Institute program requires a commitment of watching each video, completing small weekly assignments and attending a weekly videoconferencing meeting. Each Monday, a new module on a specific aspect of archives will be released online. We will hold a live session each week to discuss the topic of the week.
Successful completion of the Archives Institute program also requires the completion of a take-home processing exercise within four weeks of the course.
Before registering for the Archives Institute, please note the following critical information:
- Acceptance of your registration and receipt of a participation certificate upon completion is dependent upon your reading, accepting and adhering to the ASA Registration and Attendance Policy.
- Your attendance at all sessions is mandatory for successful completion of the course.
- Completion of the take-home exercise by the required date is also mandatory.
Registration for ASA members: TBD
Registration for non-members: TBD
Registration deadline: TBD
Minimum registration deadline**: TBD
**The minimum number of paid participants must be met by this date or the Institute will be cancelled.
If you have any inquiries regarding the course, please direct them to Rene Georgopalis at reneg(@)archivesalberta.org.