An introductory course to archival work
Note that the Archives Institute is an introductory course and is not designed for those with prior training in archival studies.
Dates: September 27 to November 12. The course will be offered virtually and we will be meeting over video conference every Wednesday afternoon from 1:30 to 2:30 pm for each of the 7 weeks of the course. Final assignment is due December 10.
Cost: $800 member, $850 non-member
Textbook is included in registration fee.
Class Size: Min 12 / Max 20
What is the Archives Institute?
The Archives Institute is an intensive, immersion-style experience, where the fundamentals of archival science are introduced and studied in order of their place in the archival process. Each component builds upon the last until the entire process of acquisition, appraisal, arrangement, description, preservation and access are covered and their intricate inter-relationships revealed.
What does the Archives Institute offer you?
- The Archives Institute is a comprehensive introduction to the fundamental elements that make up the work undertaken by members of the archival profession. The Archives Institute is not a complete education.
- The Archives Institute delivers information that archives workers need in order to assess both their institutional programs and their future training needs.
- Through discussions, team work and social breaks, participants in the Archives Institute have many opportunities to consult with colleagues and network.
- The Archives Institute provides the prerequisite knowledge for participation in special topics workshops and seminars offered regularly by the ASA.
- Participants who successfully complete the Archives Institute, according to the ASA Registration and Attendance Policy, receive an Archives Institute certificate from the Archives Society of Alberta.
What does the Archives Institute require of you?
Successful completion of the Archives Institute program requires a commitment of watching each video, completing small weekly assignments and attending a weekly videoconferencing meeting.
Successful completion of the Archives Institute program also requires the completion of a take-home processing exercise within four weeks of the course.
Before registering for the Archives Institute, please note the following critical information:
- Acceptance of your registration and receipt of a participation certificate upon completion is dependent upon your reading, accepting and adhering to the ASA Registration and Attendance Policy.
- Your attendance at all Wednesday afternoon videoconferencing sessions is mandatory. You are also expected to watch all the videos and complete the homework for each week which will be discussed at our vidoeconferencing sessions.
- Completion of the take-home exercise by the required date is also mandatory.
- For the 2021-2022 year, funding is available to institute participants who are current individual members of the Archives Society of Alberta prior to the start of the Institute. The grant available is Professional Development Support.
Registration for ASA members July 16
Registration for non-members July 23
Registration deadline: September 13
Minimum registration deadline: August 13
**The minimum number of paid participants must be met by this date or the Institute will be cancelled.
To register, please visit https://archivesalberta.org/events#id=105&cid=1657&wid=601
If you have any inquiries regarding the course, please direct them to Rene Georgopalis at firstname.lastname@example.org.